What we do
The VBL is the association of amateur community bands in Victoria, Australia. Its members are those brass, concert and stage bands who have joined for the benefits that association gives. The VBL provides competition, training and representation for its members. Individuals members are registered directly with the League to ensure that competitions are as fairly run as possible.
Each registered band is entitled to send a Delegate to the General Meetings of the VBL, which are held every four months. These meetings are the democratic supreme decision making process of the VBL.
The League is run between meetings by an Executive Council elected from the Delegates.
There are bodies similar to the VBL in all other States of Australia, although the names may vary from State to State. These State Governing Bodies are all joined as members of the National Band Council of Australia.
The Victorian Bands’ League aims to:
- Encourage brass, concert and stage/big bands and other instrumental groups in Victoria to attain and maintain the highest possible standard in their activities.
- Advance the common interests of brass, concert and stage/big bands and other instrumental groups in Victoria.
- Provide and promote events offering cultural entertainment for the community.
- Encourage people of all ages to participate in community music in Victoria.
- Liaise and work with other organisations to promote community music in Victoria.